Friday, June 06, 2003

Past to Future

PAST: When we're children, we often aren't aware that some questions are best asked with a certain amount of discretion. Tell us about a time you piped up with a good question at the wrong moment.

As a kid I was the queen of sticking my foot in my mouth, especially when it came to untimely questions. In hindsight I suppose I was no more so than most kids, but at the time I really felt like I had some sort of problem, always saying things at the wrong time and getting the other kids mad at me. All the other kids, they seemed so wise, so socially acceptable -- they would never ask a question at the wrong time, and I felt like an abberation of nature every time I opened my mouth. I'm a little better at asking questions now, but over the years I had developed a habit of going through a lot of trouble to find an answer for myself, even when it would be so much easier to ask.

PRESENT: Right this moment, what's the one burning question on your mind?

What's for lunch?

FUTURE: You have a foolproof truth serum. You have the means, motive and opportunity. Who, and what question, do you ask?

Well... I could try and find Saddam Hussein and get him to admit to the world whether or not he had WOMD that he hadn't destroyed, but at this point I don't think it would make a lick of difference. The level of partisanship in this country has reached such a fever pitch even presented with the absolute truth -- whatever it is -- there are plenty enough spin doctors on both sides to keep the us-versus-them machine well-oiled. Heck, nowadays, what does truth accomplish anyway? Its all a matter of whether we wanna accpet it or not. Can truth exist if we don't acknowledge it? ARGGghhh Truuuuth. Truth bad truth make head hurt. Why truth no truth don't know Mongo just pawn in game of life.


I better go see what's for lunch.